F.U.N. Akina

hellomarylou.jpg

It is a travesty that the image of Akina is usually linked with sadness because the media prefers to to focus on her “dramas”, ignoring the fact that she can actually be a very fun person.

She is one of the few singers I know (besides 河合奈保子) that can be seen happily singing along to songs of her peers while watching or dancing in the background. I chanced upon these two videos yesterday on Youtube and I just couldn’t wait to share it with all of you because she is having so much fun! I felt so happy watching her singing, dancing and executing some “so bad it’s good” moves with some of my favourite 80′s pop idols.

These days will never resurface again … sadly … but thankfully, we have these memories to exhibit the “recklessness” and fun of youth. Hope you have as much fun watching as I did. This is definitely one of the most fun I have seen Akina had. Those old glory days … Oh! And I forgot to add that she looks so beautiful too.

About these ads

10 thoughts on “F.U.N. Akina

1. MG says:

Yeah, Akina certainly is an interesting goofball. I wonder if I’m the only one here who’s been fascinated by the idea of Akina doing stand-up comedy. At least when looking at her HEY!HEY!HEY! interviews she seems to crack people up pretty well, though I’m not sure whether other artists do as well as I don’t follow them. :P

2. JameZ says:

Have you watched 「素顔のままで」? She shone through some of the comedic moments and I thought for someone who hasn’t acted very often, she was fantastic in that!

3. MG says:

Nah, I’ve never seen any of the dramas she’s been in, except a few clips from Primadam. :(

4. Olivia says:

That’s why I enjoyed Akina’s interview a lot. She can totally cracks one up with some of her witty comments.

Talking about goofball Akina.

5. andrea says:

who are these singers ? apart from kawai naoko i don`t recognize the two others.

6. Jerry says:

Ishikawa Hidemi (石川秀美) and Hori Chiemi (堀ちえみ) – both were popular idols from the 80′s but fizzled out after 1986. In the latter’s case, she retired from the showbiz in 1987, got married and had kids before making a comeback of some sort (one-off?) in 2005.

7. Jamez says:

堀ちえみ “retired” in early 1987 after a scandalous rumoured romance with 後藤次利. Like Akina, she suffered what they called “anorexia” at that time, so she retired to take time to nurse her health. She married a dentist not long after but divorced after a couple of years due to domestic violence. She had three children from that marriage. I don’t know if she remarried but I think she did, because she had another two children from her current marriage, a total of four boys and one girl. She seems to dote on her youngest daughter the most because you can see her describing the activities of her daughter on her blog most often.

Jerry is also right that she made a comeback of sorts, but it was probably earlier in 2001, but didn’t release an album of 80′s covers till 2005. Together with Hayami Yu (早見優) and Matsumoto Iyo (松本伊代), they formed the group キューティー★マミー (Cutie Mommy). It was meant to be a foursome, because 石川秀美 was invited, but her husband 薬丸裕英 from early – mid 80′s teenybopper group シブがき隊 (Shibugaki Tai) declined the offer, possibly because of their four children, and his masochistic behaviour.

After one single, 堀ちえみ left the group and it is only Yu and Iyo now, but they are also exploring their solo careers more than this group. The most ironic thing is that all three make more regular appearances on talk shows and events than Akina, who has become such a recluse, even when she doesn’t have any excuses like children (Iyo and Yu both have two children each). A modern day Japanese Greta Garbo.

8. MG says:

LOL, the comedy sketch where she plays the role of a persistently annoying kid is back. I love this one. :D

9. JameZ says:

LOL indeed. I have never seen such a goofy performance from her. She has great comic timing and her style of running is H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S!!!!!

10. Sergio says:

James, I always liked of Akina since my teenager, here my country about 25 year ago had karaoke, and I loved singing music of Akina, my God how time fly, But I never knows tha She had children.
    James you told who she’ve a blog, what is name?
    All right Guy